How to Register an Out of State Used Vehicle in Connecticut


Pay fully for your vehicle. Whether it is with cash, check, or loan, you must have the bill of sale completed before you can register the car.


Check the bill of sale and get your carbon copy. Make sure the price and information are correct on this form. The final price reflects how much sales tax you will pay, so every dollar matters.


Get the title for the car, and make sure that the transfer for the car is completed, with all of the proper dates and signatures.


Add the car to your insurance plan. You do not need to have the car in your possession; simply get the VIN number from the seller, and bring it to your local insurance office. Obtain a copy of the updated insurance information for the DMV.


Bring all of your documents to a DMV office. Make sure you have the title, bill of sale, proof of insurance, registration forms, and your ID. You should also have a check or cash ready to pay the 6\% taxes.


Take a number from the information line and wait for your turn. Once you are called up, hand them all of your documents and pay the necessary taxes with cash or a check.


Get a temporary plate and use it to drive the car through Connecticut emissions. Once it goes through emissions, you can return to the DMV to complete the process and get the metal plates. You will have to pay an extra fee for a state transfer that they will tell you before giving the final price.


Attach the plates to the front and back of your car. Your car is now officially registered in the state of Connecticut.

Tips and Warnings

  • If you have a co-signer on the loan or title, make sure you have her come with you or obtain a copy of her driver's lisense.
  • Looking for used cars could be a hassle, and even more hassle could be added if you live in Connecticut, and you are purchasing the car from out of state. Instead of making multiple trips to the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles, be prepared for registering. One mistake and you will have to travel back and forth to the DMV before you can even drive and own your car.